Sunday, January 19, 2014

Worry

There are things in life I worry about, but hopefully not to the point that it consumes me.  I worry that I will always be dizzy and have my head problems – there I said it – whew!  I worry that my speech will always be slurred because I am such a talker and have not been since it messed up.  I worry for my family and whether or not they are happy and healthy.  I worry about people in my church and how they are doing. 

Something I noticed as I typed that list is the order – I was first.  I know that is normal and all, but my worry for myself came before my worry for others, now I am wondering if that is normal?  I am sure it is, but let me get back to what I was saying.

Matthew 6:27 - Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? (New International Version (NIV))

Luke 12:25 - Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? (New International Version (NIV))

Here is two different versus it talks about worrying – “can you add a single hour to your life?”  I can’t, can you?  This is simply my guess, but I think I am taking time away from my life by worrying.  I am not saying that I am suppose to live 99.85 years and by worrying all the time I am now going to live 86.4 years.  I am saying that with all the time I have spent worrying what else could I have done?

I could have called somebody I knew was sick and just asked how they are doing.  I could have done something around the house that I knew needed to be done.  I could have watched that new comedy that I have wanted to see and laughed throughout it.  I could have used that time for something good instead of worrying because it will not add to my life.

In the past year I have found myself worrying about something else though; something I don’t remember worrying about before.  I am worrying about offending others if I mention God.  I worry about telling somebody I will pray for them.  I worry about saying have a blessed day.  I worry about telling somebody that yes I am sick, but I have an awesome God looking out for me.

When I was last in the ER for my speech I was talking to a very friendly nurse, Jodi.  She made a comment about how happy I am for somebody in my situation and I did not think about it, but I did tell her it is because I know God is looking out for me.  She replied and said something similar to “Yes, He is good to look after us and take care of us.”  I was not afraid when I said this to her or when she replied, we were just talking.  What was the difference – why am I normally worried about what others might say or think, but it came so naturally talking to a total stranger?  For my friends who are preachers or who have more understanding about the Bible than I do – please, please feel free to answer this and help me with this – you might just help others at the same time!

Luke 9:23 - Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. (New International Version (NIV))

When I have the thoughts to tell somebody I will pray for them or to tell them have a blessed day, but I don’t do it am I denying God?  What if I want to tell somebody that I am fine even though I am sick because God is taking care of me, but I don’t do it am I denying God? 

I am not a theologian, I have not studied my Bible the way that I should, and I am trying to seek answers.  Maybe, in my search for answers, I can help others who have the same questions.

All I know for sure is that when I am standing before God I want to hear this:

Matthew 25:21 - “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ (New International Version (NIV))



No comments:

Post a Comment