Thursday, January 9, 2014

Do not be discouraged

Each morning on Facebook my Dad posts: a match the date scripture.   For Today's early bird "match the date" scripture, Joshua 1:9 (NIV), "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Today his scripture just really struck me!  When you are facing health problems or uncertainty how do you stay strong and courageous?  How do you not let fear and discouragement consume you?  How do you not curl up in a ball somewhere and cry?!  I know that God is here with me wherever I go, but how can I show it daily?

This is Erin’s Dizzyland and I try to look through that perspective with my blogging and so here are my thoughts:  I am told to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18), but do I always have to pray for healing alone or can I pray to be used as I am?  I spoke with my pastor about this once and he told me that it is alright to do both!  For me when I first started getting sick and having problems and I looked at devotionals online, I saw some that were wonderful and very uplifting, but I wondered if they knew what it was like to face daily health problems.  The ones I saw were from people who were healthy.  I know that they have probably had friends or family who were sick, but there is a difference in writing from your own personal experience and writing what you see others going through!

 

When I am in public and people see me with my cane wobbling around or they hear me talk really funny can they see God?  Will just a smile let them know that something is good in my life?  Will laughter let them know that not everything is bad?  I think that some do realize that I have something and hopefully it is something they want!  I have been asked a few times about how I can be so happy with so many health problems going on.  Unfortunately I have never answered that question correctly until now!  I have always told them that I look for the good things and try to focus on that, and I am not lying when I tell them that.  But the correct answer is - - because I have God! 

 

There are days I am weak and in no way strong or courageous!  There are days when I want to curl up and cry!  That is human nature after all, but I REFUSE to give up!  I REFUSE to just lay there and let the world pass me by!  On these days my boyfriend, Mike, will encourage me to get in his spare power wheelchair and go walk the dog because he knows I love to get outside.  The birds that I love to hear sing are a gift at that time and it really lifts me up to hear them!  To see the fields and the woods and hear the wind whipping around is so refreshing – and it lifts me up to see it and hear it.  What lifts you up?  What helps you see the wonders and beauty around you? 

 

When I am out walking the dog I am not afraid or discouraged.  I am loving the feel of the sunshine and hearing those birds!  I may not have the strength or courage that I want, but I am better than I am when I am curled up having my pity party.  When I start feeling my spirits lift I pray.  The funny thing is during this time of weakness, I am not praying for healing or strength – I begin praying for those that I know are sick and struggling.  In that moment I am serving a purpose – God is using my weakness because our prayers are strong!  As I am praying I start looking for the good things and thanking God for those things and that gives me courage! 

 

Please do not ever give up.  Find something that lifts your spirits – a song, a long quiet drive, your children’s laughter or even a bird singing!   When you are feeling weak and you need encouragement go and find that thing that lifts your spirits and thank God that you have it and then keep thanking him for all the other blessings in your life and I promise that your spirits will lift and you will find a strength and courage through Him in that moment!

 

Not all of my blogging will be this deep, but that match the date scripture just really struck me today!  Sometimes it is so easy for me to dwell on the negative; I just wanted to share how I find that strength and courage again. 

 


God is good all the time . . .



3 comments:

  1. Erin, this was absolutely beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you chose to have a blog!! I will introduce your blog and add the address to my side bar tonight. xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisanne! How do you add things to the side bar? I figured out the top bar, but did not know there was a side bar?

      Delete