Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Confirming the need for surgery . . .

I went to see my new neurosurgeon, Dr. Deanna Sasaki-Adams, at UNC Chapel Hill on Friday and here is the update from that visit:

Before seeing the doctor I had a new MRI done so she could see exactly what is going on. Her intern came in and asked all the usual questions about what symptoms I am currently having from my cavernous malformations – what has been ongoing and what started at the beginning of January 2014.

The doctor told me that she believes I had a bleed at the beginning of January and that is what has caused my speech to slur along with a few other new symptoms. She also believes that in September 2012 when my symptoms suddenly got worse and I had to stop working that I had a bleed then as well.

(For those that are unsure what I mean when I say a “bleed” – the cavernous malformations are small groups of blood vessels that are not formed properly and will seep or ooze blood. When they “bleed” this tiny amount of blood pushes on the surrounding brain tissue and may bother that area of the brain causing deficits.)

The doctor told me that she is unsure if my speech will improve or not, but she wants to see me back in 6 weeks. She said if my speech is still slurred at that time than it is probably permanent.

Dr. Sasaki-Adams told me it is time to start looking at having the surgery to remove the cavernous malformation from my brainstem. From here on out the cavernous malformation will be referred to as “Damian”!

I asked the doctor how many brain stem surgeries she has performed and she said less than a handful. When I asked her what problems surgery with her could cause . . . well let’s just say it was not promising!! She told me for difficult surgeries she contacts Dr. Spetzler at Barrow hospital in Phoenix, Arizona and that she would have to do that with this surgery. She also told me that if I want to contact other surgeons who have performed this surgery more than she has that it is fine with her and she will not be offended. One of my aunt’s said that is very good that the doctor told me that, she said that speaks volumes for this doctor!


I am going to send my records to Dr. Spetzler as soon as I receive everything and see if he will evict Damian. Once he receives the records a member of his team should call me within the week to let me know what he thinks. Once he says yes they move pretty fast and the surgery may be scheduled as fast as a couple of weeks away.

I am praying for complete healing, but I am also looking at the possible outcomes. I am reading what others have said their deficits are before and after surgery so that I do not freak out if any of the negatives happen with me.

I have talked with my Dad and Judy about possibly staying with them after Damian has been eficted if I need rehab so they can assist me and Mike in anything that we may need. So as you pray for me during this time, please also pray for Mike – he is a great nurse and we are really going to put him to the test. Please pray for Dad and Judy twofold – if we need to stay with them as they care for me, or possibly even worse, if we get to come home after surgery for them to not worry and know that I am alright! Please pray for my brother and sister also that they will not worry!

1 comment:

  1. Dizzy,
    I hope you know and understand that I will be there, here or where-ever for you as needed. Judy says our door is always open for you and we will help you in any way we can. We are praying for complete healing also, but understand the risks and dangers. We love you.

    ReplyDelete